Friday, July 13, 2012

Back to School Activities

As I get ready to start the school year, one activity using mobile devices comes to mind. I have one ipad in my classroom, 5 itouch's, and a cart full of about 24 mac lap tops that is shared among the teachers on my team. I am a 2nd-3rd grade bilingual looping teacher so my students this next coming year are the ones I had last year (about 17) if none have moved away. The first 2 weeks I will be focusing on their summer activities so I will have the students go on a QR code scavenger hunt asking them about 5 questions that pertain to summer fun. Here are the questions I will include in the scavenger hunt:
  • What is one book that you read this summer that you loved?
  • Share one movie that you saw that was AWESOME?
  • Tell me about a vacation you went on with your family?
  • What do you want to learn this year in 3rd grade?
  • Share your favorite summer time song?
I like to use Kaywa.com as the QR code generator, print each one out, trim and glue each code on some colorful tag board and spread them out throughout the room. The students each have clipboards that they use when traveling through the room so they will be writing their responses on a half sheet of paper. I will then have them choose one question and record their response using Voicethread. I always try to extend an activity using various tools. This keeps the excitement going! Another idea would be for students to use one of my favorite apps on my ipad (Movie360) during my Daily 5 rotation and record each other answering as many questions as they would like. They love being curators and taking ownership of their learning! Here are a few pics where my students were on a scavenger hunt last year during our "ocean" unit!