Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A New Edutech Year on the Horizon

As a new year begins for my students and myself, I can only think about the journey my students and I are about to embark on. It started back in the summer of 2012 when several colleagues of mine (tech nerds like myself) decided to grow our learning in mobile device and all that it brings! So we began this journey by taking a crash course in Google Apps for Education and I mean a crash course! We (11-12) teachers, tech leaders and tech trainers learned all that Google Apps has to offer for schools and the power of global collaboration. So we all became google apps qualified teachers that summer and the so the journey began here. Now 7 months later, my students and I will be piloting a 1:1 iPad classroom. I begin to plan and design lessons that will empower my young students to be the next bilingual innovators of 2013. The next 4-5 months will be ones that I will remember for the rest of my life. The failures and successes of my students will show how technology can enhance student learning and empower them on a level they have never quite been empowered before. My dream is for them to take ownership of their learning and begin to experience the power of mobile device learning along with sharing that learning with the world they live in. These next few months I will be showcasing that learning here and other social networks. I hope to learn from the failures and successes of my students, the process behind piloting such a powerful program and the stories that will be shared by the students. This has been a dream come true in my lifetime as an educator and it is almost here! I can't sleep, eat right, talk slowly but I'm doing a whole lot of running in preparation for this marvelous journey we are about to begin. Happy new year to all those in education and may we always keep in sight that it's all about the students and what they can accomplish if given the opportunity!!