Saturday, March 9, 2013

TodaysMeet...Another Way to Share in Real Time

Each week, I try to introduce the students to new tools for collaborating and sharing in real time. One of those tools is TodaysMeet. I have been reading Bryan Chicks's book series The Secret Zoo. I have read all three books in this series and I am reading the final book before they go off to 4th grade. TodaysMeet has helped my students analyze characters, summarize paragraphs, identify cause and effect in certain situations and deepen vocabulary in math and science. This was the first time that they had used TodaysMeet using their ipad. Not only did they like it, they LOVED it! One of my students replied, "this is just like texting Mrs. Lackey and its so much fun". I had the projector on so they could read the feed on the big screen. I decided to turn it off. I typed a silly question for them to answer mentioning certain students in my question. It was so much fun to see them turning around  looking at each other giggling from ear to ear as they kept reading the feed on their ipad. Needless to say, it was a big hit and I will continue to use TodaysMeet in other subject areas like math and science to strengthen their spelling and writing skills.